Oct 18, 2012

The one with the neverending introduction

FIRST DAY AT WORK...


1) Shake hands.
-So this is what it feels like to run for mayor or congressman. Fat hands, skeleton hands, macho hands, boxer hands, construction-worker hands, iron-grip hands and play-dead hands. Whew. I thought it would never end. After circling the 27th floor, the HR brought me to 19th floor for the IT people. I thought it's the end of the introduction fever but I was dead wrong. Young and old, with and without hair touched my cold hands on both floors. I shook hands with more than 50 people for my first day at work today. I only remembered one or two names out of all of them.

Lesson Learned: Never underestimate the power of shaking hands.

2) Smile.
-I felt like cameras are flashing everywhere. I can't stop smiling after meeting one employee to another. It's difficult not to especially when they say first impressions last so why not make myself look good to have a lasting effect? Wow. Being a celebrity definitely is not my cup of tea if they do it more than an hour each day for photoshoots.

Lesson Learned: Practice smiling in front of the mirror each day because you'll never know when you'll need it!

3) Nice meeting you.
-I must have uttered those 3 words for a hundred times today other than Hi and repeating the person's name to easily memorize them. It's kind of being back to Kindergarten when you're trying to remember the alphabet in your head.

Lesson Learned: Look at the bright side at all times. You'll never know if that person you once met will help you open the locked restroom when you forget those damn codes especially when you were entering the code from a different floor. Angels surely do exist!

4) It's raining men.
-Literally and figuratively. I actually thought there's more female than the male population. Guess not. There were more men today especially in our department. Due to the overpopulation of the male species, I forgot to bring my umbrella when I got out for lunch which drowned me like a rat on my way out and back to work. 

Lesson Learned: Do not forget to bring umbrella. Men are still men, regardless of the weather. Do not expect someone to offer their umbrella just because you forgot to bring yours!

5) Early out.
-Miracles still happen in real life! My new boss allowed me to go home 1.5 hours early and then advised me to come to work by 7:30 a.m. instead of the regular 9:00 a.m. shift. 

Lesson Learned: Good things happen to those who wait although sometimes there's a catch!


No comments: