Jan 29, 2005

The one with the woman’s voice


Woman: “I’m crippled, you know, but my husband tried his best to make me happy in spite of my condition.”

Me: “I’m so sorry about what happened. You’re so lucky to have him.”

How many people had found someone as good as this man? One in a million, right? I felt envious of this woman who had touched me most during all the calls I’ve had today. She cried before we ended the call & told me she appreciated all that I’ve done. I’ve never experienced this joy since I’ve worked in a call center.

Every time I go to work, it resembles some kind of dooms day. Like I’m going to die before the day ends due to extreme flow of emotions which consists of anger, impatience, self-pity, envy, sadness all at the same time.

Who loves his/her job anyway? Maybe 4 out of 10. It doesn’t really matter. The most important thing that I’ve learned today is when you set the right mood, keep priorities straight and focus on the goal instead of being too self-absorbed; I can withstand any avalanche of terrible callers in 8 hours.

All of the realizations aside, I can’t help but see that I’m more crippled than her. She was open-minded, brave, strong and caring. I can walk but I’ll never walk in the same path that she had passed. She’s having problems regarding money & I am financially stable…but she’s richer than I am. She has the most wonderful and loving husband who was there for her. I, on the other hand, don’t have anyone. Never had anyone.

I used to think I’m heartless. I used to think I don’t need anyone. She made me glance in love in a different way. I guess sometimes you just wake up …and see the world in a different light. It may be too bright on first glance but once you look straight at it, the world looks better.

I wish this woman knows how much she had changed me. She’s more powerful than she could ever imagine.

No comments: